Sunday, June 24, 2007

Furry feet

Mom really likes my paws. I get a little embarrassed about the whole thing. At first I didn't like it when she held my paws, but now I'm used to it and kind of like it actually. She massages between the paws when she washes them, I have to admit it does feel good. She says it's reflexology and it will help me live a long time. She does talk about that a lot. She wants me to live to be the healthiest, happiest, longest lived Akita in the history of the world, she tells me that all the time.

I hear other dog caregivers cut the fur from around the pads on the bottom. Mom did that once and didn't like it, because she said the fur protects the pads and keeps them soft, and she likes them soft. Other dogs get really tough and scaly pads, and I guess it is rare that mine are protected like that. I prefer softer pads myself, it is easier to lick them, and it isn't all rough on my tongue. She does cut out the fur if a mat gets stuck there. I try to chew them out but it is hard to reach so she does it for me. That is a helpful thing.

I do not like it when she cuts my toenails, and I struggle, but less and less. It only hurt a couple of times by accident, she is careful and it really doesn't hurt, I just don't like it. But, by now I realize it has to be done, so I make the best of it. At least I get a biscuit afterwards.

The paws remind her of horses with feathered fur too. When she was little, she saw them at the country fairs. When you are little, looking thru the slats of the fence in the stalls full of hay, those horses look huge, and the furry feet are the closest thing you see. She was entralled by those feet. So I guess mine remind her of them. She would like to get a horse, a small horse, and keep it in the yard, and not have to mow the grass ever again. But she is afraid it might kick me. I think we'd get along, but it's true, I would not want to be kicked by a horse, and how do you prevent such a thing? It is probably on her list of things to research.


I think I would enjoy the company of another species. When there was a bird in the house, we used to watch each other. It was really unusual to see one close up like that. And once there was a cat, but not for long. Mom was concerned I might chase it. Also, recently, some fish moved into the house. I stood up on my hind legs to get a closer look, they are in an aquarium in mom's office. I know she'd like a fish pond in the back yard too but doesn't want to cut into my room to run around, which is nice. I know she wants to get a place in the country with a huge yard, fenced, so I can REALLY run. I do hope that happens soon, that will be great. She tells me she wants that to happen someday, so I hope so, she is good at getting things she decides she wants.