Monday, August 27, 2007

A small chewed up green dinosaur

Mom came into the living room first thing this morning and said: "One of the good things about having a dog, is coming into the living room first thing in the morning and seeing a small chewed up green dinosaur in the middle of the floor." She did not expect this and found it amusing. It was a photogenic moment, she went and got her camera to capture the moment. Though she did not say any of this aloud, I heard her whole conversation about this, as I can sometimes, generally, or often, read her mind, depending.

She gets up earlier while I like to stay in my cave awhile and sleep in more. She went in the living room to do her morning yoga practice where there is just normally a large expanse of white carpet, a fountain waterfall that I cannot drink out of, furniture I do not use, my toy bin under a table, and a fireplace where she lights a candle and does a morning meditation. And that's where she found the toy I left out.

My meditation is sleeping in. I love to sleep in. I also like to leave toys out in the middle of the floor, and roll on them sometimes. I never put a toy back, tho she puts everything back. She shoves all the toys back under the table, I sniff around and pull out one as the mood happens. I think putting things away is just a people thing. I do sometimes bury a bone but that is just because I don't want to eat it now, I am not really putting it away.

I like to leave unexpected things in the middle of the floor just to surprise her, and to let her know that I know how to surprise her! I learned this as a puppy. Once, a few years ago, at this house, there was a very tiny china bowl on one of her many shrines throughout the house, but this one was down low where I could get to it, and in the living room too, which is good. I had eyed it for sometime, waiting for the right moment. After about a year, I did it. It was only about an inch high, and delicate, I took it carefully in my mouth and dropped it in the middle of the floor and left it there. She couldn't believe it when she came into the living room and saw it there. She thought it had been magically transported at first, silly thought! Finally, she figured out that I had done it. She was amazed, and really glad that it wasn't broken.

I have a very delicate mouth, she likes to tell people that I can pick a pea out of a bowl of food. That is true, because I do not like peas. She doesn't know why. I don't know why either, to tell you the truth. It has something to do with that shape. It does not seem natural for me as a dog to eat that shape, unless it is a grape, of course, and I go in and out of eating those.

Soon it will be grape season again. She will try to get me to eat some again, as she always does every year around this time. When I was a puppy, I did more because, well, I was young then and curious and it was something to do to wile away the time, pick the grapes off the stem. Now I'd rather nap or relax, save energy.